30 July 2018
With four stations in the District – Thurston, Elmswell, Stowmarket and Needham Market - Mid Suffolk stands to be a major beneficiary if the partnership is formed.
At the Council meeting, members had heard from Peter Feeney, a member of various rail user groups, that East Suffolk CRP had been “an immense success, promoting businesses along their lines and bringing redundant buildings back into use.”
In the debate, councillors from Needham Market and Elmswell spoke in support, but it was clear the motion would be defeated unless the amendment was accepted.
"We are pleased that Council agreed to initiate talks about forming a CRP, while being disappointed at the last-minute amendment and cautious response of the administration and the other councils”
said proposer councillor John Matthissen
“We have asked Suffolk County Council (SCC) what support they provide to the East Suffolk CRP, as we should expect the same.”
Since the meeting, the Green Group has asked that a representative from the Association of CRPs (ACORP) is invited to talk to officers and members of SCC, Mid Suffolk and the West Suffolk councils, where the rest of the intermediate stations are situated.
This Council notes that
• Community Rail Partnerships (CRP) are a useful way of promoting tourism without generating road traffic
• Abellio Greater Anglia offers start-up grants of £20,000 and continuing financial and practical support , both of which are dependent on third party contributions
• Greater Anglia supports 8 CRPs at present, and has just launched a ninth, for the Southend line
• The Mid Anglia CRP is one of 3 remaining CRPs, and 4 of its 8 intermediate stations are in Mid Suffolk
Accordingly, Council calls on Suffolk County Council and the West Suffolk councils to join Mid Suffolk in approaching Greater Anglia to propose that work begins to launch a Mid Anglia CRP next Spring.
exploring the benefits and implications of a Mid Anglia CRP next spring.
Meetings & Events
Tuesday 25th September - 7pm - The Mix - Ipswich Street, Stowmarket IP14 1BB
Tuesday 9th October - Cafe 52
Thursday 1st November - Cafe 52
- Mid Suffolk meetings generally held at Cafe 52, Crowe Street, Stowmarket, Suffolk, IP14 1DL
- Meetings occasionally held in Woolpit, Eye, Stowupland and Needham Market.
All Members and well-wishers welcome.